On September 8, 2011 and September 14, 2011, United Way Services of Geauga County hosted a visioning sessions in the Community Room at 470 Center Street, Chardon, Ohio. A total of 26 attendees representing a variety of public and private agencies, including business, residents, non-profit and government agencies participated. The host's agenda included a variety of tools, including private thought, brain storming and affinity diagrams, to answer the following questions:
- If you were going to see a headline in the newspaper about what Geauga County looks like in 20 years, and you were part of making that happen, what would the headline be?
- What does a healthy Geauga County mean to you?
- What are important characteristics that make a healthy community for all who live, work and play here?
- How do you envision the local public health system changing in the next five or ten years?
- What key behaviors will be required to achieve the items discussed above, for:
- Public Health System
- What is your commitment to making this happen?
- Community and Community Partners
- What type of working environment is necessary to achieve this?
At the conclusion of these discussions, a team of six partners compiled the results and prepared a vision statement. Since many of the partners had been involved in an earlier project called Geauga IMPACT, it was apparent that the outcome was an update to the 2005 Geauga IMPACT vision. The 2005 Geauga IMPACT vision was updated to include a stronger commitment to personal and public health.
A Vision for Geauga County in 2020